Sunday, November 7, 2010

Another kind of woman, introduction

Many people believe that the history of transgenderism begins with Christine Jurgensen's sex change in the early fifties. Few realize that transgender individuals have existed in every culture in history, and can be found in every part of the world.

Every culture has dealt with us differently, and every culture has called us by a different name. Native American tribes referred to gender ambiguous individuals as "two-spirits". In ancient times, before the medical technology for sex changes existed, there was a crude way of getting rid of an unwanted manhood. Indeed many of the so-called eunuchs of ancient times took female names and wore female clothes. In India some still exist in Hijra caste, individual considered neither male or female but something inbetween.

Thailand has perhaps the best known and infamous group, the kathoey or ladyboys. They are a significant part of the Thai nightlife. Traditional Thai festivals often feature what are essentially drag shows, beauty contests for Trans individuals.

For this blog I have chosen the more polite name Thai's give to transgendered women, Sao Praphet Song, another kind of woman. I like it because it both affirms our gender identity, but also acknowledges our unique path. We are women, and our trans brothers are men, we are just not quite the same kind of women or man that someone born in that body would be.

As I contemplated starting a new blog, this seemed a suitable title as well. I want to write about gender, politics and life. I want to write about these ideas from a unique perspective, my perspective. I am a forty year old transgender woman. Transgender is a broad term so I should be even more specific. I am transsexual, in that my personal road through life has included medical treatment to bring my body into alignment with my internal sense of self. I have taken hormones and had surgery.

I lived many years as a man. It didn't work for me, but I learned many valuable things from it. I lived in that inbetween space that scares so many who are unfamiliar with the trans community. I am now living as a woman.

As I read and write, learn and think about the world around me, I see it in a slightly different way than the average person. this is what I hope to be able  to share in this blog. I hope you enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment