Thursday, November 25, 2010

Fatherhood?

I had to go to my son's school the other day. the reason isn't that important to the story, so we will skip that. Going to his school is always something of an adventure for me for a couple of reasons.

I have some issues around school. My own experience in Elementary school were less than positive. Junior high, on the other hand, was far worse. High school was bad too, but it started to get better towards the end. Junior high was the height of many negatives in my life. I got teased a lot and felt like everyone was against me.

That was many years ago. That was another Junior High School. Still, I have to keep reminding myself of this every time I walk into those halls.

In fact my status at my son's school is very different, not just because I have gone from being an awkward kid to an adult and a parent. I have also become a minor celebrity. I am "Forest's dad". I doubt any other father hears "That's so and so dad." whispered in hushed tones of awe as they pass by. But then again I don't think any of the other father's in that school are women either.

Of all the strange roles and situations that a transgender person finds themselves in, this is perhaps the oddest. I try to live out the role as graciously as possible. I walk in, smile, hold out my hand and say, "Hi, I am Rachel, Forest's father." I get a few double takes are first, but the teachers and staff so far have been wonderful.


To my surprise, so have the kids. Early in my transition it was hard to walk into a school building and not see the faces of the kids that tormented me when I was young. But as I have gone on field trips, picked my son up after school and gone to conferences, I have gotten to know some of the kids. I am, to my surprise, one of the "cool" parents.

The kids have changed too. they no longer resemble the kids who once tormented me. They are just kids again. Kids that need role models. Role models that tell them they can be true to themselves and still find a way in this world. Role models that show that you don't have to be one of the popular kids to grow up successful and happy. I just hope that I can be that role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment