Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Secret in Thai

Yeah, there it is. I found it in Seacon Square Mall in Bangkok. The Secret has penetrated as far as Thailand.

I have a love hate relationship with the secret. When I first read it I thought it was shallow. They sugar coat things, emphasizing the wealth you can get while minimizing the work part.

Later on I started to hang out with some new agers that were big on the Secret and I decided to give it a second look. I found that underneath the talk about wealth and money was a lot of good stuff about having gratitude for what we have and loving ourselves.

It is not as simple as saying "I want" and the universe providing. You have to really have an emotional attachment to the goal. You have to feel this huge positive warmth around what you want.

It also says that you should choose a goal so big, so incredible that when it comes you will have no choice but to believe. You will have no choice but to sit back and say, "Wow I did that!"

Then they talk about having a new car. Another guy talks about making money. I think; a)how does anyone get that excited about a new car? Sure it would be nice to have a good reliable car, but will it really change my life? b) how is that incredible. You go to the dealership and if your credit is good you sign on the dotted line. If not, well it's more work but how does anyone see that as impossible? It just didn't make sense to me.

So I thought, what would give me that feeling? What do I want so bad I can taste it? What do I want but think is impossible? the answer came swiftly, I wanted to be a woman. I had wanted this, to one extent or another, all my life but there had always been reasons why it wasn't possible or realistic. It seemed more sci-fi then reality.

Well here I am, three years later. I am now a post-op Transsexual woman. I did it. what about The Secret? I still find portions of it cheesy. I still find portions of it too simplistic. But I have no choice but to admit, it does work.

2 comments:

  1. this makes me want to give the book another shot. i, too, thought it was shallow. just gets back to positive energy, i guess. you put it out there, it comes back to you. thanks, rachel. i look forward to more of your insight! and CONGRATS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have any comments about the book becuase I have not read it but I think if you wanted something bad enough you can make it happen. the book just reminded you. I would not put to much into the book, then again i have not read it.

    ReplyDelete